Getting your first tattoo can be pretty scary. Here are some hints on how to make it a little easier on your nerves and to prepare yourself to make it a good experience.
- Pick a day you have plenty of time and don't have to rush, to keep stress down.
- Be confident in your artists' abilities.
- Bring along a friend if you want, but don't bring your kids.
- Take along some reading material or music for distraction.
- Focus on something relaxing, like a picture or a thought.
- Suck on hard candies to keep blood-sugar level up.
- Take slow, deep breaths to calm your nerves.
- Think about how great your tattoo will look when it's done!
- Ask your artist for a break any time you need one.
- Ask questions if you are concerned about anything your artist is doing.
- If it is painful, try not to watch. Sometimes that makes it hurt more than it really does.
- Don't haggle price with your artist. That only shows disrespect and creates a bad relationship from the start. If your artist is annoyed, they may not be as gentle with you.
- You may, at any time, get up and walk away if you are not happy with your experience. Your artist is not in control, you are. If you believe they are not doing satisfactory work, do not let them continue.